Sunday, June 3, 2012

LIGHTNING ROD: 'Exciting' time for George Washington star

Every other week this baseball season, George Washington catcher Nelson Rodriguez will give us an inside look at his team’s quest for a second straight PSAL Class A city title and his mission to get drafted in June's MLB First-Year Player Draft. In this exclusive diary for NYPost.com, the four-year varsity player talks about the upcoming PSAL Class A semifinals and next week's First-Year Player Draft.

We have the semifinals coming up this weekend. We beat Norman Thomas on Tuesday in the quarterfinals.

The Norman Thomas game, they beat us at home, 4-3, [two weeks ago]. We wanted to play them. We had to beat them to go to the semifinals. It worked out perfect. We scored 10 runs and everything right now is clicking.

An Rong Xu

George Washington's Nelson Rodriguez will lead the Trojans against Telecommunications in this weekend's PSAL Class A semifinals. .

It felt great. They’re the team we wanted to beat. They take advantage of errors and anything that you do wrong. We didn’t do anything wrong. After they hit the first pitch for a home run, we never got down. Everything worked out good.

Our pitching is really good right now. We have Kevin Torres and Edwin Corniel – they are bulldogs. Our hitting has been really good now. If everything continues like this, it will be hard to beat us.

[Outfielder] Fernelys [Sanchez] coming back [from a broken fibula] is unbelievable. It was good to have him back. We know he’s a good hitter and he’s hitting the ball great. Hopefully it keeps working out and we win another city championship.

We’re playing [Telecommunications]. We don’t know anything about them. I expect them to be a good team because they beat a good team in Cardozo. It will be a hard-fought series.

I’m thinking more about this weekend than the draft. I don’t think about the draft that much. I’ll think about it Sunday night.

I might commit [to Virginia Tech] this weekend or next week, I don’t know if I’m going to visit. I’m probably going to commit whatever happens in the draft. I’ve been talking to the coach all season.

The draft is on my mind. I want to finish strong, win these two games so I can get to the championship game and win another ring.

It’s an exciting time in my life. I hope everything works out. I just have to stay relaxed. A few teams have called me. I don’t know what round I’ll get drafted. I’m going to try not to think about it.

I worked hard for this chance. My dream might come true. Hopefully everything works out. I’ll be in school at my house [in Washington Heights] watching the draft.

I just want to be treated fairly and get drafted high. I feel nervous, excited. I just can’t believe my dream is this close to coming true.

Check back with Nelson Rodriguez every other Thursday during the season. His next diary will run June 7.

George Washington catcher Nelson Rodriguez, Nelson Rodriguez, Nelson Rodriguez, PSAL, Norman Thomas, Telecommunications

Nypost.com

No comments:

Post a Comment